We Help People and Businesses Free Themselves From the Burden of Having Tax Problems.
Would you hire an electrician to fix a leaky faucet? Or hire a mechanic to install a new roof on your house? Neither would we.
So why hire a general practice attorney, or a CPA, or accountant who prepares returns to fix your tax problems? At Paladini Law, our firm practices exclusively in the area of tax controversy. We don’t prepare tax returns—we leave that to CPAs, EAs, and preparers who are dedicated to the field. Fixing tax problems is all we do.
What We Are
- Dedicated to changing the way people think about attorneys—one matter at a time.
- Honest and transparent about your options—we’re not selling you on an unobtainable fantasy.
- Passionate about our chosen craft—we love solving tax problems.
- Flexible—we offer weekend appointment times and travel to you or your business if you can’t make it to us.
About Me (The Owner)
Tax Attorney, Master of Laws in Taxation
After completing my undergraduate studies at Montclair State University in three years, I moved to California and went to the University of San Diego School of Law. After I received my Juris Doctor, I went back to the University of San Diego School of Law—consistently ranked a top 10 tax program nationwide—and earned a Master of Laws in Taxation.
While finishing my degree, I gained valuable experience at the University’s tax clinic. It was there that I fell in love with controversy work—helping taxpayers solve tax problems.
When the economy was not at its best, I was fortunate enough to get a job at one of southern California’s largest and best tax controversy firms. I worked on cases big and small: helping anyone from individuals and local businesses to large publicly traded companies. I was soon promoted to Senior Attorney was given my own case load. In 2016, I was named Best of the Bar by a local business journal.
After several years there, I moved back to my home state of New Jersey.
I Love Helping People Solve Tax Problems.
It doesn’t matter the tax issue: audits, collections, appeals, international disclosures—I enjoy fixing tax problems. Most clients I deal with have had reoccurring tax issues for years. They’ve either tried solving the issue themselves or ignored it completely.
My goal is to resolve the issue quickly, so you can move on with your life.
I’m Not Like Most Lawyers.
Lawyer stereotypes are unkind (and ultimately untrue):
- They’re expensive.
- They don’t return phone calls or let you know what’s going on.
- If they do return a phone call or email, they give non-answers or use confusing legal jargon.
- They’re deceitful.
The thing is, I’m none of those things:
- I use flat fee billing for most of my cases, so you know precisely the costs up front. I don’t nickel and dime clients for things like ordinary mailing, copying, or faxing. And if a client ever has a question about a billing item, we review it until you’re comfortable with an answer, or I’ll waive the line item entirely.
- I almost always return phone calls and emails within 24 hours, even on weekends.
- I provide straightforward answers without hiding behind legal jargon.
- My motto is, “Under promise and over deliver.” I don’t promise results I don’t truly and honestly believe we can achieve.
For a lot of my clients, I’m the first lawyer they’ve ever needed. And they hope I’m the last. I work hard to fight against lawyer stereotypes and make an unpleasant tax problem as pleasant and stress-free as possible. So far, it’s been working—I have a perfect client rating on AVVO. But every case and client are different, and I continually adapt my approach to fit the needs of the client.
- IRS Offer in Compromise (Tax Settlements)
- IRS Payment Plans and IRS Installment Agreements
- IRS Audits and Examinations
- OVDP and Disclosure of International Assets
- NJ Sales Tax and Income Tax Audits
- NJ Installment Agreements
- Payroll Tax Cases
- New Jersey
- New York
- United States Tax Court
- Appealed disallowed claim of $1 million in exemptions on taxpayer’s excise tax return. The claim was allowed in appeals resulting in zero tax due. Over $300,000 in penalties were also removed.
- Settled taxpayer’s liability through the IRS Offer in Compromise program for less than 2% of the amount owed.
- Appealed violation relating to the sale of untaxed tobacco. Taxpayer was facing a large penalty and suspension of the business for 20 days. After the appeal, the state imposed no penalties and did not suspend the business because of mitigating evidence presented.
- Successfully abated full amount of $50,000 trust fund recovery penalty.
- Successfully abated over $700,000 in failure to file and failure to pay penalties.
- Represented client who omitted income from a foreign account in a federal income tax audit.
- Represented multiple taxpayers with undisclosed foreign income and assisted them in entering the Offshore Voluntary Disclosure and the Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures.
- Represented publicly traded company with over $114 million dollars in payroll tax liability.
Awards & Publications
- Best of the Bar – San Diego Business Journal 2016
- New York Society of CPAs Settling Your Debt with the IRS: Offers in Compromise 2017
- Quoted in SuperMoney regarding IRS private debt collectors.
- Nolo, IRS Reporting Requirements for Business Cash Transactions over $10,000
- Moderator, USD School of Law – RJS LAW Tax Controversy Institute, Resolving Disputes in the Bankruptcy Forum, 2016
- Speaker, CSTC ECSD Chapter June 7th Dinner Meeting, IRS Audit Red Flags & International Tax Compliance Issues, 2016
- Speaker, Seminar, Audits, Collections, and Offshore Disclosures, 2015
- Speaker, Seminar, Offshore Disclosure Programs, 2015
- Speaker, Appeals, Collections, OIC, & Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program IRS & FTB Issues—Southern California Tax Professionals, 2014